Subject: Re: Eugene Onegin (formerly X )
From: Maxwell Paley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 23 Aug 2017 22:21:53 +0300

How about discussing some more interesting points of interpretation, rather than questioning the value of the opera.

I've always felt that Tatyana should somehow be the operatic equivalent of young Audrey Hepburn in the first part of the opera. She should sound young, vibrant and slender. The closest thing for me is Vishnevskaya on the old mono Khaikin recording.

I think that Onegin himself is very hard to portray. There has to be an attractiveness but there's also a basic "no there there" quality to his character. One of the most revealing passages in the Pushkin is when Tatyana and some friends, some time after the duel, realized they were near Onegin's home and dropped in. He wasn't home, but wandering in his study and looking at the books on his desk, she realized that much of what she thought he was had been derived from characters he'd read about.

It's not an opera in which you can just set a couple of healthy voices loose. There's a special subtlety and sensitivity needed from cast and conductor.

The most fascinating and convincing Onegin I ever saw was Simon Keenlyside. He sang it wonderfully but in his physical movements and even the use of the muscles in his face managed to look young and then age before us.

Max Paley

Sent from my iPhone