Subject: Re: Eugene Onegin (formerly X )
From: Les Mitnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 23 Aug 2017 14:05:08 -0500

I'm totally confounded by the "get Onegin" thread here.  I've always thought it to be on of the most beautiful gems of the operatic repertoire.  I find the music lush, the story moving, and the whole opera very beautiful. I've seen it performed several times, have three recordings of it, and I never tire of it.  It seems that every so often, a well known opera gets "gang banged" and lots of people hop on the bandwagon.  Where does this come from?  Who dreams this stuff up?  Lastly, who is in such an august position to proclaim whether an opera is good or bad?  Is it an attempt to stir up a hornet's nest just to receive attention?
     I stand with Ray Gounin on this one.  The whole thread is a waste of time, as far as I'm concerned.