Subject: Signature Theatre (Arlington,VA) opens opulent and impressive A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC (8-22-17)
From: Alan Savada <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 23 Aug 2017 09:23:57 -0400

I don't post a lot about musical theater, but Signature Theatre's new production of Sondheim's A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC which opened last night in Arlington (Shirlington), VA., is NOT TO BE MISSED.  Eric Schaeffer has assembled a brilliant cast of all DC actors (with the aid of the recently moved on casting director Walter Ware III) and each gives a stellar performance. I have seen umpteen productions of this work, from the original on Broadway and it is one of my favorite all time musicals and up there on the top of my Sondheim list as well.

While I don't want to list all the performers, kudos go to Holly Twyford in her singing debut as Desiree. Many of us were concerned about this role for her, but she shined impressively, sang gorgeously and truly acted the pants off the part. Each performer gave nuanced additions to their parts even in the ensemble making this a total team effort. I know I will be back to see the show again in September and probably October as it's THAT GOOD.

ALAN SAVADA of Washington, DC