From: David Shengold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 22 Aug 2017 21:37:22 +0000

 I am glad many have risen to its defense against the frankly stupid, dated middlebrow platitudes of Paul Henry Lang in re ONEGIN, which is in my view a very fine opera-- though PIKOVAYA DAMA is a *vmasterpiece*.
Many have stated good reasons to admire ONEGIN, but unless i missed something, no one raised the reason why early and mid century critics like Lang dismissed Tchaikovsky as lightweight and frilly: his homosexuality, which in the long post-Wilde century was held as a stain keeping him from being Serious or Substantial. This critical tendency has been well documented by Richard Taruskin and others.
If you think this is just "PC" on my part, I'd observe that some of those hereabouts deriding "PC" responses, something they make little effort to understand beyond a Fox News caricature level, are the same folks who raised bloody hell about the Met doing DEATH OF KLINGHOFFER with its ( deleted) scene caricaturing American Jews. That was REPREHENSIBLE but the kind of mindless, dated nonsense that usually goes into portrayals of Islamic characters in average stagings of ITALIANA IN ALGERI is  "just good fun".

Modify your settings: