Subject: Re: Eugene Onegin (Not a good opera)
From: "G. Paul Padillo" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 22 Aug 2017 16:13:16 -0400

I think a good number of people like to pigeonhole what they like, so  while
music which possesses a “heart-on-sleeve” sentimentality is not to their
liking, they'll declare it "not great."  I don't agree, and feel that that quality does not preclude
does not preclude something from being in the pantheon of “great music.”   Among my very favorite
Among my very favorite works are Parsifal, Wozzeck, Elektra, Peter
Grimes, Billy Budd, Pelleas et Melisande – operas which many “esoteric
types” find right up their alley, yet others avoid like the proverbial plague.  Bu
But I also want my Onegin, Butterfly and Tosca, thank you very much.

There are a number of good DVDs of Onegin, the Carson production for the
Met from 7-8 years ago with Fleming and Hvorotsovsky far more to my
liking than the new-ish one featuring Netrebko (who is, I’m sorry, a bit ma
matronly sounding in this music for my taste).

The Glyndebourne production by Graham Vick from ’96 or so is one of my
favorites, with Elena Prokina a thrilling, youthful Tatyana.  Her Letter Scene
is so youthfully manic and explosive – almost out of control, that she caps
it with a bit of staging that had the audience gasping:  during the postlude,
she leans against the wall, grabs her water basin and dumps it over her
head to “cool” the fever of love.  It’s one of THOSE moments!

p.