Subject: Re: "Restoring" the Old Met (was Re: Helen Traubel reissue)
From: Russ Geschke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 21 Aug 2017 22:01:55 -0500

The Chicago Civic Opera House, Lyric Opera's home, is a beautiful art deco
period piece, but its acoustics are variable, nothing special, and the "long
shoe box" layout as you aptly describe it was greeted with an "Oh no!" from
Mary Garden when she saw it, per "Mary Garden's Story" 1952, in which she
goes on to explain that unlike the Chicago Auditorium Theatre, the Chicago
Opera's home until 1929, the Civic Opera House layout creates a gulf between
the stage and the audience: the main floor seating narrows toward the stage,
instead of side seating (balconies, boxes) there are huge blank walls, and
bulk of the audience is far back from the performers on stage; images of the
interior posted on the internet illustrate this.  It's long been a daydream
of mine that opera might again be performed on a regular basis at the
Auditorium, which is easily the greatest historic building in Chicago.
Supposedly Jean de Reszke (1850-1925), when asked which was the greatest of
all the theatres he had sung in, answered without pause "The Auditorium in
Chicago."  It's such an original and beautiful design, and the acoustics are
superb.