Subject: Re: "Restoring" the Old Met (was Re: Helen Traubel reissue)
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 21 Aug 2017 20:22:28 -0400

The change from white paint on the front of the tiers to red paint was made
at least 25 years ago; it was a simple but dramatic improvement, and
involved no
"faux burled" anything.    I don't know why so many people are bothered by
what happens when golf leaf ages; it has to be expected with gold leaf
,just as the aging of bright copper outdoors is expected to age to a
pleasant green which
clueless renovators often decide to paint over.

What the sculptural object above the proscenium ironically resembles, is a
stack of twisted metal debris I photographed during the demolition of the
old house; they could have trucked that very stack up to Lincoln center and
hoisted it into
place..

dtmk