Subject: Re: "Restoring" the Old Met (was Re: Helen Traubel reissue)
From: Stephen Charitan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 21 Aug 2017 18:47:53 -0400

I agree, the new MET is a beautiful building both inside and outside. Those
thin soaring arches on the exterior compliment the "flying" staircases
spiraling through the lobby to create an almost ephemeral visual harmony to
match what you will hopefully hear when you are sitting in your seat.  The
starburst chandeliers are the perfect accessory. At the risk of
trivializing them, this is also true of those magnificent Chagall's. One
major improvement to the auditorium made several years ago was to lose the
white  around the various rings of the theatre and replace it with a faux
burled wood finish to match the real wood on the walls.  This along with
the gold "half moons" on the underside warmed up the house to its
considerable advantage.

I agree with Max about the proscenium thing...though I've come to accept -
if not quite love it.  I always think of them as tails docked from some
Stegosaurus, Triceratops, or perhaps Godzilla himself.