Subject: Re: "Restoring" the Old Met (was Re: Helen Traubel reissue)
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 21 Aug 2017 17:51:30 -0400

Again, full agreement.

I attended the Opening Night of the New Met and the beauty
of it took my breath away. The chandeliers, speaking of gasps
from audiences, when they retreated into the ceiling, was a
jaw dropping moment. They wete a gift from the Austrian
governmenr, and they were simply awesome. Still are!

The Chagalls were equally impressive, even if the effect was
less spectacular.

It isvery large, but for its first forty years, more or less,
there was an audience more than willing to fill "most" of
those seats. Maestro Toscanini, all the stars were not in
heaven then, though most probably are now.

As Renata Scotto said to a friend a number of years ago,
when asked about the changes in many aspects of the
operatic experience - " altri tempi". And that's about it!

Altri tempi! I doubt we shall ever see them again.

Bob