Subject: Tebaldi Sings Callas (was Re: Tebaldi's (in)famous 1963 'Adriana')
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 15 Aug 2017 11:29:21 -0400

Patrick Byrne wrote:

"I have heard a recording of Tebaldi's Casta Diva", a pleasant surprise."

To me, too, the first time I heard it.  It really is quite good (although no way Tebaldi would
have been able to handle the entire role).  It is a great recording to play for opera-loving
friends and play "guess the singer."  In my experience, unless the auditor knows about the
recording, they never guess correctly.

Another fine recording on that "Tebaldi Sings Callas" series is the Sonnambula aria.  The
recitative in particular is excellent; Tebaldi knew how to shape a phrase.  The aria itself is
also fine, although there are places of slightly-off intonation.  (And no cadenza.)

The "Nabucco" recit and aria affords a rare opportunity to hear Tebaldi being a bitch.  She
doesn't quite convince, but "Ben io t'invenni" is excitingly sung.  The cabaletta is good,
albeit sans trills.  (Solid if tight high Cs.)

On that same set (Tebaldi Festival, Decca 2 CDs), the Wagner excerpts (all in Italian) are
beautiful, particularly Elsa's Dream (a role Tebaldi actually sang early in her career).  Her
voice is the perfect weight and rich sound for those Wagner spinto roles.

MDW