Subject: Re: "Restoring" the Old Met (was Re: Helen Traubel reissue)
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 21 Aug 2017 16:27:25 -0400

I think the Met at Lincoln Center is a beautiful building, inside and out.  The front of the
building from the plaza, with the big Chagall murals and the starburst chandeliers backed by
the red and gold of the lobby, is one of the most breathtaking sights in New York.  I find the
auditorium beautiful as well, apart from the abstract monster above the stage.

And yes, the house is big.  But the size was dictated by the economic needs and projections
at the time the house was built.  It is what it is.  That the Met has trouble filling the house
today is not the fault of the big house.  When I was attending the Met regularly in 1974 -
1978, it was frequently sold out, or nearly so.  But that was a result of great casts that had
star power and could sell tickets.

MDW