Subject: Re: Happy birthday Opera-L
From: "G. Paul Padillo" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 21 Aug 2017 16:08:51 -0400

I remember composing this schlocky poem 15 years ago for Opera-L's
birthday.  The list was a bit younger and livelier then (so was I).  Still, I
spend a lot of times re-reading old posts in the archives and remember so
many Listerini no longer with us and get a smile.  Happy Birthday, Old Fr
Friend.

p.

* * * * *

To Opera-L we make our way, from far away, from near,
Our words through phone lines, modems, rise up through the atmosphere.
To talk and argue opera is our primary objective,
At times our words are raucous, loud, at other times reflective.
Although we get along quite well, most of the time at least,
We’ll argue what’s inappropriate, e.g., 'Belshazzar's Feast?'
And then there’s posts on liederabend, or musicals and such,
But no one really seems to mind (or seems to mind too much).
And when that awkward post arrives from one who feels entitled,
Close on its heels another come, at odds with that recital.
Oh, noses will get out of joint and toes be stepped upon
As one describes her “high notes” while another her “chiffon.”
But usually things work out fine and we’re back to loosey goosey,
Discussions ensue, of lied by Brahms or melodies by Debussy.
I ask, where else can you reach so many from the comfort of your house,
And argue coloratura or the Vier letzte Lieder of Strauss?
So whether you eat spaetzle, crepes or al dente linguine
You’ll always find a buddy here to talk about Puccini.
I love you Opera-L and raise my glass to you up high
And plan to stick around here long, and write here til I die.
We’re like a garden, here each one here, a flower, bud, or thistle,
Let’s join in song - a rousing chorus: Bellini - or Birtwistle?