Subject: Re: New Toscanini Bio + new book on the history of "the tales of hoffmann"
From: kurt youngmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 21 Aug 2017 13:42:14 -0500

Full agreement on the Toscanini bio. What a fascinating life that man had!

Also very highly recommended: “The Real Tales of Hoffmann: Origin, History, and Restoration of an Operatic Masterpiece.”

This is an amazing scholarly telling of the genesis of “Les Contes d’Hoffmann” which has always been my favorite French opera - even in the various bowdlerized versions I’m used to seeing and hearing. Authors Vincent Giroud and Michael Kaye have dissected every aspect of the origins of this opera that suffered (for want of a better term) desecration even before its first performance. I’m especially pleased that the authors included an English translation of the original play upon which the opera is based as well as a libretto that reflects the most recent research.

Now at the top of my wish list: an opportunity to see this great opera in a version that’s as close to what Offenbach intended as has ever been available.

Kurt Youngmann

> On Aug 20, 2017, at 8:07 PM, Paul Ricchi <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> I feel sorry for anyone who is not currently reading Harvey Sachs entirely
> new Toscanini biography (with a vast amount of new source material). It is
> a rich, vivid and ambitious thing;  it will cost me sleep.
>
> "Toscanini -Musician of Conscience".

“Whenever I’m caught between two evils, I take the one I’ve never tried." -  Mae West