Subject: Re: "Restoring" the Old Met (was Re: Helen Traubel reissue)
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 21 Aug 2017 14:01:51 -0400

No roof lasts forever without repair, but I think the walls might have;  i
was
able to observe, daily, the laborious task of dismantling those two parallel
horseshoes of solid masonry that took months to come down.  The fate of the
building was determined when the miniscule site, bordered by busy streets
and avenues, was chosen; no expansion would ever have been possible without
closing one or more of them to traffic.

The question I have always had is: why does revenue from such a prime oiece
of
real estate not actually do the job it was promised to do?    I have always
thought the new house was too extravagant, with predictably tasteless and
burdensome results.

dtmk