Subject: Re: "Restoring" the Old Met (was Re: Helen Traubel reissue)
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 21 Aug 2017 10:52:31 -0400

Max and Ray

Absolutely!

I was at the Closing Night gala when Licia Albanese, pleaded
to "save the Met", and like the vast majority of the audience, I
cheered her words, as she kissed the stage. Stokowski exhorted
us, as well, and they were very "feel good" moments.

But, I knew, and we all knew, that that was not going to happen,
and we knew that the Met's very existence depended on the income
from that prime real estate. What we also learned was that
the building would have had to be gutted and rebuilt from scratch
on a piece of land not large enough to accommodate its needs.
The physical structure was actually in danger of collapse, especially
the roof, which had been weakened by water leaks and other weather
damage over the years.

So, when we applauded and cheered, we were celebrating its history,
aware that its future lay somewhere else.

I dot think that the new structure at 39th St should have includd more than
a small plaque commemmorating the magnificence of the theater's history.
I have not passed by in many years, but I have been told that even
that small token of remembrance no longer exists. If true, that is, indeed,
shameful.

Bob