Subject: Re: Bing Interrupting Tristan (was Re: Helen Traubel reissue)
From: Rich Lowenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 20 Aug 2017 20:40:14 -0400

Well, as another lister mentioned, the Met Archives acknowledges the
interruption.

"[This was probably the only performance of the Metropolitan Opera to be
interrupted intentionally. The break came during the opening of Act II when
the orchestra stopped playing and Milton Cross, the Commentator, broadcast
to the audience and radio listeners an appeal for contributions. There were
hisses, boos, laughter, and mock applause in the auditorium and angry
telephone calls.]"

Apparently, it wasn't completely out of character for Bing.