Subject: Re: Tebaldi Sings Callas (was Re: Tebaldi's (in)famous 1963 'Adriana')
From: Les Mitnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 15 Aug 2017 21:59:42 -0500

Actually, none of it is really bad and a good portion of it is rather good.  However, singing the ?Casta Diva" pretty well does not a complete or great Norma make.  A complete Tebaldi Norma would have been impossible, as would have Abigaille or Amina.   The Nabucco Scene is actually good, I think, but as difficult and as hard-hitting as it is, it's only a very small portion of the entire role, which is a voice wrecker for any dramatic soprano.  The cabaletta of the Sonnambula cavatina requires a florid technique that was never part of Tebaldi's vocal make-up.  However, we all must remember that to sing a single aria (difficult as it may be) in a studio,  where constant re-takes are possible, is hardly the same thing as undertaking that same aria on the stage in public.  Tebaldi was a smart lady.  She suppressed these recordings for a very long time and finally allowed them to be released after she was long retired.  She was at a point in her vocal life where she could "go for broke" with very little to lose, and so she did.

     The Tebaldi I like to recall is the soprano who wrapped the music of Puccini, Cilea, Catalani, late Verdi, in pure plush velvet.   Of course, there's always the possibility that she could have gone on with a "high mezzo" repertoire.  But did her personality really make her ideal for such volatile roles?