Subject: Bing Interrupting Tristan (was Re: Helen Traubel reissue)
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 20 Aug 2017 20:32:02 -0400

Angelo Mammano wrote:

"Another tidbit:  she was the Isolde on the broadcast when Bing had
decided to interrupt the beginning music from Act 2 to announce to
the audience that the performance would go on but unless there were
more contributions coming in, the company might have to close its
doors.  I am remembering this as coming from many years ago so
don't quote me on his exact words.  The conductor was Stiedry and the
tenor was Svanholm."

Well, if that happened, it is not on the recording I have of that broadcast (I re-listened to
Act II through Tristan's entrance), nor is it mentioned in Jackson's "Sign-Off for the Old Met"
(and it surely would have been if it had happened).  I think your memory is playing you
false.  Frankly, it sounds like a made-up story (not by you, necessarily).  That would have
been such an egregious breach of broadcast etiquette that it surely would have been one of
the most frequently retold Bing stories, and this is the first I have ever heard it.  It also
sounds completely out of character for Bing.

I stand ready to be corrected, if someone can produce a recording of the alleged incident,
but until then I will maintain that it is BS.

MDW