Subject: Re: Any opinions on this article?
From: David Kubiak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 20 Aug 2017 12:56:47 -0400

While I know Corelli at the end of his career sang with an exaggerated
dropped-jaw open mouth technique, this is not what you see from the singers
of the past we consider great.  You never find it in pictures of Caruso, for
example, or for that matter, Pavarotti did not sing this way.  Today it is
ubiquitous.  Stephen Costello has sung with a hugely open mouth position
from the start (Bill Shuman?), and we see the results.  It can become a
slightly tedious mantra in Lanfranco Rasponi's book, but again and again the
older singers talk about unrelenting forcing of the voice as the technique
of the day.  Every vocal fault known to the art form can be caused by this
forcing, beginning with the wobble, which is so common today we take it for
granted as what opera singers sound like. I am not sanguine about the
future, since contemporary young people do not have the time to study as
they once did, and forcing when you're young enough to pull it off can
launch a career thought perfect for big houses (assuming you're also thin,
of course).  But it always fails in the end.

Another issue that plagues singers (and the rest of the population) today in
a way that amounts to a modern medical mystery is the prevalence of acid
reflux, which can not only burn the cords, but lead to aspiration of stomach
acid and lung damage.

David Kubiak