Subject: Re: Helen Traubel reissue
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 20 Aug 2017 12:22:37 -0400

Ray and list

I could not agree more. He understood how to make his
subscribers happy, as well as his enormous "stable" of World
famous singers. When he ran the Met, all but a few at the top
clamored to sing there, and he was a master at pulling those
strings that kept the names who actually filled the seats.
They were not an easy bunch but he understood what it took.
There is a reason why I went to the Met 89 times in 1964, and,
of that huge number, there were very few duplications. How long
has it been since we could see even three World Class Toscas in one
season, not to mention six or seven.

He presented thrilling casts in a broad range of operas and roles over a
very long period of time. That record is matched by few, if any.

The Met would be a better place, even with fewer great singers,
if his equal were in charge. If he had an equal!

To his memory!

Bob

On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 04:35:33 -0400, RAYMOND GOUIN <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>Notwithstanding criticism and carping, Bing did a good job during his stewardship of the
Met (and I had full access to the Met so that I saw him in action in private when he could be
at his worst).  Further, just compare  him to Gelb where you could not get anyone worse to
take the job unless someone who lives in a white house in Washington left his current job to
take on running the Met.  :)