Subject: Re: Helen Traubel reissue
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 20 Aug 2017 12:19:10 -0400

I'm afraid what you're going to discover is how infuriatingly bland and
inexpressive she could be.  I saved the original Dot label lp as a  worst
case example; nothing
on it is commendable, unless you wan to hear her demonstrate the richness of
her contralto range, backed up by the worst kind of soupy "cocktail lounge"
arrangements.  What you should try to find is the GAY NINETIES album, which
Amazon doesn't seem to have; it's exhilerating, full voiced, and
stylistically
persuasive.  Unfortunately, I transferred it to cd and disposed of the
original
too hastily without making any notes.  Maybe our friend Michael Delos, who
posted the Youtube link to "Ballgame"  could share the details.

dtmk