Subject: Re: Helen Traubel reissue
From: ANGELO MAMMANO <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 19 Aug 2017 14:46:40 -0400

This brings to mind Traubel's appearance on the Ed Sullivan show

when she deadpanned "I hope that you will bear with me while I sing

a folk song from my native land". Or close to that.  She then of course

launched into "St. Louis Woman", with all your diamond rings...

She had a great sense of humor.

Another tidbit:  she was the Isolde on the broadcast when Bing had

decided to interrupt the beginning music from Act 2 to announce to

the audience that the performance would go on but unless there were

more contributions coming in, the company might have to close its

doors.  I am remembering this as coming from many years ago so

don't quote me on his exact words.  The conductor was Stiedry and the

tenor was Svanholm.

Angelo from Boston

Angelo from Boston