Subject: Re: Any opinions on this article?
From: Alain Letort <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 19 Aug 2017 12:20:01 -0400

Thank you very much, Kiwi, for the link to the fascinating and
thought-provoking article in “The Guardian,” one of the few truly great
newspapers in the world today.  I have felt for a long time that singing
techniques are not what they used to be and that there has to be a
connection between faulty teaching and technique and the fact that more and
more singers are experiencing terrible vocal problems at increasingly
younger ages.

One of the wonders of Opera-L is how it helps you learn something every day.
 In the “Guardian” article, there was a passing reference to an opera house
in the town of Òsimo called the Teatro La Nuova Fenice.  I was very
intrigued, because even though I have lived in Italy and made many trips
there, including most recently a trip in April and may which enabled me for
a first time in my life to attend a performance at Venice’s fabled La
Fenice, I had *never* heard of a town called Òsimo or of a theater called La
Nuova Fenice.  (I added the grave accent to show where the stress falls and
to indicate that the initial “o” is open and not closed).

So I looked them up, and wow, what a gem of an Italian hill town and
especially what a gem of an opera house !!!  The Teatro La Fenice was built
in   1887-1892 and has a seating capacity of 444 (187 in the orchestra
section and the read in three tiers of boxes and a “loggione”).  It is
exquisite in a turquoise and gold color scheme, not unlike the much larger
Mariinsky in Saint Petersburg, and boasts a beautiful painted stage curtain.
 The theater's façade is also quite elegant in the neoclassical style.  Here
is a link to pictures of the Teatro La Nuova Fenice :

and another link to a Wikipedia page about the theater : (sorry, no page in English)

I never cease to be amazed at how many Italian towns in the 20,000-40,000
population range boast absolutely beautiful opera houses and that are still
active, even if nowadays they mostly host stage plays or concerts, with an
occasional opera performed by a touring company.  Such towns include Gubbio,
Spoleto, but there are many others.  Italy is quite simply the best !

The rest of the town is also very attractive and, as a result of Kiwi’s
post, Òsimo has all of a sudden rocketed to the top of my must-see list for
my next trip to Italy.  Read more about Òsimo at or, in greater length but in Italian, at

Cheers and all the best,

Alain Letort
Washington, D.C.
Des Ungeheuers Höhle