Subject: Re: Any opinions on this article?
From: Alain Letort <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 19 Aug 2017 12:20:01 -0400

Thank you very much, Kiwi, for the link to the fascinating and
thought-provoking article in “The Guardian,” one of the few truly great
newspapers in the world today.  I have felt for a long time that singing
techniques are not what they used to be and that there has to be a
connection between faulty teaching and technique and the fact that more and
more singers are experiencing terrible vocal problems at increasingly
younger ages.

One of the wonders of Opera-L is how it helps you learn something every day.
 In the “Guardian” article, there was a passing reference to an opera house
in the town of Òsimo called the Teatro La Nuova Fenice.  I was very
intrigued, because even though I have lived in Italy and made many trips
there, including most recently a trip in April and may which enabled me for
a first time in my life to attend a performance at Venice’s fabled La
Fenice, I had *never* heard of a town called Òsimo or of a theater called La
Nuova Fenice.  (I added the grave accent to show where the stress falls and
to indicate that the initial “o” is open and not closed).

So I looked them up, and wow, what a gem of an Italian hill town and
especially what a gem of an opera house !!!  The Teatro La Fenice was built
in   1887-1892 and has a seating capacity of 444 (187 in the orchestra
section and the read in three tiers of boxes and a “loggione”).  It is
exquisite in a turquoise and gold color scheme, not unlike the much larger
Mariinsky in Saint Petersburg, and boasts a beautiful painted stage curtain.
 The theater's façade is also quite elegant in the neoclassical style.  Here
is a link to pictures of the Teatro La Nuova Fenice :

https://www.google.com/search?q=teatro+la+nuova+fenice+osimo&sa=X&as_st=y&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ved=0ahUKEwjIrILP1ePVAhXFOiYKHSUnBhYQsAQIQA&biw=1916&bih=972

and another link to a Wikipedia page about the theater :

https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teatro_la_nuova_Fenice (sorry, no page in English)

I never cease to be amazed at how many Italian towns in the 20,000-40,000
population range boast absolutely beautiful opera houses and that are still
active, even if nowadays they mostly host stage plays or concerts, with an
occasional opera performed by a touring company.  Such towns include Gubbio,
Spoleto, but there are many others.  Italy is quite simply the best !

The rest of the town is also very attractive and, as a result of Kiwi’s
post, Òsimo has all of a sudden rocketed to the top of my must-see list for
my next trip to Italy.  Read more about Òsimo at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osimo or, in greater length but in Italian, at
https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osimo.

Cheers and all the best,

Alain