Subject: Celestina Boninsegna
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 19 Aug 2017 12:39:52 +0000

A couple of comments, since she is among my favorite singers,
who was the subject of a biography and chronology by me in
Record Collector nearly twenty years ago.

"Basically an Italian peasant" you say.

Born into a wealthy Florentine family, she graduated fom the Pesaro
Liceo and found immediate success at several theaters. She sang
the World Premiere of "Le Maschere" under Mascagni's baton at
Rome. There were twenty performances, rwo directly in her honor,
with gifts and mementos from royalty and dignitaries. She has two seasons
at Covent Gardem, with such as Melba, Caruso and Stracciari, 12
performances of Aida at Scala, 5 seasons in South America including
a six month tour in 1911 with Mascagni. whose "Isabeau" was given its
World Premiere at Buenos Aires. Boninsegna sang Santuzza in every city
on the tour, along with Aida. Her 2 seasons at the Madrid Real were
among the most successful in that theater's history, and her apperances in
the Inaugural season of the Boston Opera were among her greatest
triumphs, taking her with the company as far West as Chicago.

She sang well over 1000 performances in many of the World's great
theaters, and her total of over 250 performances of Aida is, without
doub, the record for that role.

A peasant? I think not!

The rest is just apocryphal nonsnse, sometimes attributed to Caruso.

Bob