Subject: 2018: Lohengrin with Alagna/Harteros/Thielemann
From: "G. Paul Padillo" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 18 Aug 2017 12:49:24 -0400

While Bayreuth is taking its usual amount of heat over its announcements
of next year's productions, one I'm most excited about is getting the most ridicule I
ridicule I’ve seen heaped on it:  Yuval Sharon directing Alagna and Harteros
Harteros in Lohengrin , and this in a season featuring Domingo
conducting . . . . Walkure?

I’ve seen a number of clips of productions by Mr. Sharon and think
Bayreuth may see one of its more thoughtfully constructed, productions
since the Sisters Wagner took over the Festival.  His experimental works in
Los Angeles have achieved something few companies have been able to
do:  successfully blend technology with immediate theatricality and pull in
new (and usually young) blood into attending the opera.  His production for
the San Francisco Symphony of music by John Cage and featuring Jessye
Norman, Meredith Monk under Michael Tilsson Thomas drew raves . . . .
even Tommassini called it “intriguing and engrossing.”

On his production of Adams’ “Doctor Atomic” critics responded:

“. . . (Sharon) succeeded in creating a masterpiece like few (have)
seen . . . a grandiose production.”

“Imaginative, disorienting and exciting!”  “Glorious, almost baroque
musical theatre . . . a stroke of genius.”

Here is a brief promo for his production of “Die Freischutz” for West Bay Oper
Opera, which looks fascinating.

https://vimeo.com/18413238

If I could, I’d love to see what Mr. Sharon does with Lohengrin . . . and
with a willing, theatrical savvy tenor like Alagna, Harteros’s Elsa and
Thielemann in the pit?  I for one wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if it
becomes the hit of the Fest.  We’ll find out eventually!

p.