Subject: Re: Tebaldi Sings Callas (was Re: Tebaldi's (in)famous 1963 'Adriana')
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 17 Aug 2017 12:48:39 -0400

From an historical perspective, I mostly don't disagree, but for
the record, I saw Katia Ricciarelli in the opera with Pavarotti and Nucci,
and it was a beautiful performance in every way. The three principals
were vocally superb, and just about perfectly matched in terms of
amplitude and resonance. She was not overparted, and those wobbly tops,
which by 1980 could often make you seasick, were dead on pitch, and
absolutely solid, as was the case throughout her range.

It was a memorable evening!

I will say that Leontyne Price's voice was hardly larger and she was
also very successful in the role. "Spinto" will do fine in this role;
"dramatic" is nice but not necessary, I think

Bob