Subject: Re: Tebaldi Sings Callas (was Re: Tebaldi's (in)famous 1963 'Adriana')
From: Les Mitnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 17 Aug 2017 10:55:56 -0500

She certainly could have done Elizabetta in Don Carlo on stage.  Her recording of the opera is a good one.  Trovatore and Ballo are another matter.  Trovatore, considered by some to be the "last bel canto opera" (for the soprano anyway), has some difficult florid measures as well as trills in the 4th aria.  Tebaldi had no real and valid florid technique, and to my knowledge, never trilled (a shake is not a trill, obviously).   This was noted when she made her studio recording as far back as 1956.   Ballo?  Her very late career recording of it with Pavarotti (1971) is not very good.  Of course, those cadenzas that come at the end of both the soprano arias are not easy to pull off.

I don't see why she undertook this very difficult Verdi soprano role so very late in her career.  I've heard it a couple of times, and she simply sounds overwhelmed.  Amelia in "Ballo" is a tough role ------------- two and a half octaves ----- from low A flat to a shining top C.  I don't think it would have ever suited her.  She was wise to stay away from it.