Subject: Re: Tebaldi Sings Callas (was Re: Tebaldi's (in)famous 1963 'Adriana')
From: Donald Levine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 17 Aug 2017 08:54:10 -0700

In Tebaldi's generation and before, they were considered dramatic soprano
roles.  Pushed leggieros and lyric such as Katia Ricciarelli and Renata
Scotto would never have been allowed near those roles..  Many spinto's
waited until the end of their careers to tackle them.  Times change.

In my opinion, she should have sung all three.  The voice was always big
enough and then some.  She sang the Forza Leonora and Maddalena early on
and those are definitely not lyric soprano roles.

Donald