Subject: Re: Muti as a coach to his singers? (Professor Innaurato?)
From: Vesna Danilovic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 16 Aug 2017 21:56:59 -0500

On Wed, Aug 16, 2017 at 6:33 PM, albert innaurato <
[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> He felt that the words were illuminated by the music, that where they sat
> on the phrase, how they were articulated in the rhythm carried clues not
> only to that moment but to the psyche of the character.

Thank you, Mr. Innaurato, for chiming in. It was in my vague memory that I
read about Netrebko getting advice from Muti about Lady Macbeth and I
couldn't remember where I read about it until I saw your above comment. I
then recalled the interview she gave to NYT and will quote it the part
about Muti verbatim because it resonates closely with what you said above:

"The conductor of that “Manon Lescaut” in Rome was Riccardo Muti, one of
the world’s foremost Verdi interpreters; Ms. Netrebko said that she had
received some valuable advice on singing Lady Macbeth from him. Some was
practical — he warned her that the Act II drinking song, a brindisi, was
perhaps toughest on the voice — and some was more general. “He told me a
very important thing about ‘Macbeth’: The rhythm and the words are almost
more important than the notes,” she recalled. 'The rhythm has to be 100
percent there.'"
(from the 2014 NYT article "A Prima Donna Stretches in More Daring Role",
her interview given to Michael Cooper of NYT)

I hope I'm not hurting anyone's feelings on this list in saying that I
found her Verdi album extremely disappointing, including Lady Macbeth's
arias. This album was done before she sought the advice from Muti in
preparations for her Met Lady M. in which she was absolutely stunning and
surprised even the skeptics, including myself. I cannot explain such an
enormous difference in her vocalism and dramatic interpretation of this
great Verdi role except to at least partly attribute it to Muti's influence
and, judging from this interview, she was very open in crediting him for it.

Vesna