Subject: Re: Tebaldi Sings Callas (was Re: Tebaldi's (in)famous 1963 'Adriana')
From: "Takis Pavl." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 16 Aug 2017 20:41:16 +0000

I've heard this story before Art, but this Schuyler Chapin sounds like an amateur if he went to a prima donna like Tebaldi and suggested "appropriate mezzo-soprano roles that might be compatible alternatives to her present repertoire". Insulting and ineffective and shows he had no idea how to treat and negotiate with an artist.

Had he suggested a new production with Tebaldi starring as the central role of Charlotte or Dalida alongside Domingo or Corelli, I think she may have considered his proposal more seriously. With a good French coach, Tebaldi could have added these two (and possibly other) great roles to her repertoire. Her voice was tight on top but it didn't wobble, the middle had no holes and her scale was as even as ever so these roles would have been ideal. But another great singer was making a similar move to mezzo roles and she had the advantage of being a native French speaker, Regine Crespin. Crespin did in fact appear in the 1971/2 production of Werther alongside Corelli so casting Tebaldi in that production isn't  impossible to imagine.

Tebaldi however started a series of lucrative recitals with Corelli where she focused on song repertoire and completed her career in a classy way.
 Regarding the late recording of Tebaldi "singing Callas", those few items are as unnecessary to me as Callas' recordings of the Adriana Lecouvreur arias, the Mozart arias and basically that entire Puccini album. I've listened to them out of curiosity and hear interesting things but return to the stuff that suits them best to hear their greatness.

 Takis