Subject: Everything I Learned I Learned From Opera
From: "G. Paul Padillo" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 15 Aug 2017 16:17:37 -0400

"...and Azucena models PTSD more than a century before psychiatry
identified the syndrome."

* * * * * *
Actually, it was more like a century and a half, but . . .

Now, I’m uncertain if Mr. Ricchi was poking fun at me, Cammarano, García Gutiérrez
Gutiérrez or, perhaps, even Verdi . . . nonetheless his statement set me to
thinking of other operatic characters whose behavior or utterances pre-date scientific
date scientific findings discoveries, or other types of references.

First and foremost was Gurnemanz’ profound statement in response to
Parsifal’s noticing he has "traveled far without hardly having moved:  "Du
siehst, mein Sohn, zum Raum wird hier die Zeit.  Or “You see my son, time
here becomes space.”  Wagner penned these words around 1877 .

Einstein’s similar theories on the time space continuum, would not appear for nearly
for nearly another 30 years.

It's hardly conceivable Wagner would come up with such a theory on his own and out
own and out-Einstein Professor Relativity Himself, right?  Right.  We do know however, well
know however, well-read son-of-a-gun that he was, Wagner was well
acquainted and fascinated with the writings of Schopenhauer, who, in 1918 wrote
wrote:  “space and time are not only, each for itself, presupposed by
matter, but a union of the two constitutes its essence.“  While Wagner perhaps put
perhaps put it a tad more poetically, the song, nonetheless, remains the sa
same.

I’m certain few others will be interested in any of this, but, as slow as
things have been here lately, I'm hoping a bit of indulgence will be pardoned
pardoned.

p.