Subject: Re: Nina Stemme / Mildred Bailey / Liza Elliott
From: "G. Paul Padillo" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 14 Aug 2017 12:44:55 -0400

Idia wrote:

"In my opinion the best cross-over I have EVER heard was Patricia Racette
and her album "Diva on Detour" which is superb. She sounds like a true cab
cabaret or jazz singer and not an opera singer attempting to do jazz.
I wish she'd go back to it."

I agree, few singers male or female have transitioned as smoothly as Racette
Racette.  For her, it is a sort of return to her roots, as she began singing
jazz and pop before studying opera.  In interviews she has mentioned late
nights spent in her youth learning from - and jamming with - “old jazz
guys” and it shows.  She continues to perform her cabaret act around the gl
globe, and will be performing it in Madrid next year.

With a propensity for 20th and 21st century roles rarely seen in
most “divas,”  alongside roles in works by Corigliano, Shostakovich,
Poulenc, Floyd, Britten, Menotti and Janacek, et al., the soprano has made
a splash in several musical theatre roles including runs as Fosca in
Sondheim’s “Passion” and Julie in Kern’s “Show Boat.”  This season Racette
adds two juicy 20th century roles to her - Magda Sorel in Menotti’s “The
Consul,” and Anna Maurrant, in Weill’s “Street Scene,” as well as makes
her directorial debut in “Traviata” for Opera Theatre of St. Louis.

She has her detractors here but also a number of fans who she keeps
making happy!

p.