Subject: ONEGIN on PBS: Some Thoughts
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 14 Aug 2017 04:48:13 -0400

Today's telecast, (Aug.13 in NY), was the third I have seen in the last
several years, beginning with the much maligned, minimalist production
which this one replaced, and which I liked somewhat better, except for this
one's final scene in the snow.  The entire St. Petersburg Act with those
soaring white columns is one of the most beautiful things, IMO, the Met has
ever staged. When it switches to outdoors for the final scene, the columns
still work!  I did miss the heavier snow that enveloped Netrebko and
Kwiecien the last  time however; it must have been falling "north and west
of the city" today.

Wasn't the kiss, this afternoon, even more voluptuous, and wrongfully so?
I thought that the former pairing of Netrebko with Kwiecien had a persuasive
element that is missing with Mattei, whose message I have never managed
to receive anyway.  When Anna kisses Marius, it becomes a spontaneous,
irresistable impulse, demanded by the chemistry between them.

As for those peasants in Act One:  aren't peasants known to be revolting?
So why invite them into the house?  Such a mess!  Much better to let them
frolic in the leaves outside.

 And:  I had hoped that this time around, those absurd rifles might have
been replaced with the proper pistols, but no . . . .

dtmk