Subject: Re: DON CARLO Recordings
From: Rich Lowenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 8 Aug 2017 10:10:38 -0400

Don Carlo is one of my favorite operas; it has been well served on disk,
although I agree that there is no perfect recording. To my mind the best
studio recording is the Giulini, although the best performances are found on
live recordings (albeit often in awful sound). One of my favorites is the
live Met recording under Adler, with thrilling Rysanek and Corelli. The
supporting cast is variable (though Dalis is terrific), and while it is far
from a perfect performance, it makes me happy.

I agree about Fischer-Dieskau--I often find his opera recordings
disappointing. He brings a lieder-like attention to his singing, not always
a plus in opera. If one can be too punctilious, he is.