Subject: The audience RISE as one..
From: Nicolas Coppola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 13 Aug 2017 09:12:45 -0400

The opening night of Boito's Mefistofele at NYC Opera (in 1969?) was the
occasion of the most singular audience reaction of my life. At the end
of the Prologue of this (at the time) unfamiliar opera; with the brass
in the house, Rudel in the pit, Treigle onstage, in this amazing
Capobianco production, the audience ROSE as one, cheering and applauding
(well, in the balcony,at least). The reaction went on for some
time....never saw anything like it again.