Subject: Re: The audience sighs as one
From: RAYMOND GOUIN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 8 Aug 2017 00:04:27 -0400

When I mounted a production of Tosca, effort was made to attract both  new and young audiences to opera.   We also performed the opera in English to make it more accessible,.  I knew we had succeeded at the end of Act II -- when Scarpia was stabbed, there were shouts of "YEAH!" from all parts of the audience.

Same production.  At the start of Act III, when the curtain went up on the set, there was an audible gasp as one from the audience before the applause followed.  That experience as a designer was likewise a high beyond all highs (dislocating shoulder from trying to pat oneself on the back mode).

Best from Boston.

Ray Gouin

***