Subject: Re: Kaufmann's Otello
From: A Katalin Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 8 Aug 2017 10:01:25 -0400

Well…. thank you for that video – but Vickers is so scary to look at even in repose in this getup that I am not sure how far he has to go to be truly frightening, for starters.  He walks in completely calm and regal, and grabs his sword (by the blade???? How can he not slice his hand open?) to threaten D as she begins the plea for Cassio and he asks for the handkerchief.  Kaufmann’s Othello (I saw it live and on video, two performances), is obviously disturbed as he walks in, and can barely restrain his anguish, which increases every second, erupting at same time.  I found his performance very moving instead of scary, of a slowly disintegrating soul.

But I still find that the performance of Domingo and Freni, which I only ever saw in video, the most perfect of them all; I was in tears during this scene, they are so emotionally convincing and brilliant.