Subject: Nina Stemme / Mildred Bailey / Liza Elliott
From: Stephen Charitan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 11 Aug 2017 18:24:04 -0400

Opera singers doing pop music has always been Risky Business.  Despite all
subsequent attempts I still think no classically trained voice straddled
both worlds quite as successfully as did Eileen Farrell, and perhaps
Dorothy Kirsten as well.

And then, strolling through “Youtube” versions of Kurt Weil’s “Saga of
Jenny” I found:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZzDvLrEZqk

What I love about this is that Stemme finds the right tone for a pop like
delivery without compromising the full glory of her Brunnhilde voice.  Like
Nilsson in her “I could have danced all night” she can’t resist letting the
lion out of the cage for that final note – maybe not good taste, but
certainly good circus.  Incidentally, Stemme’s English diction could be the
envy of many an English speaking singer.

One of my favorite “pure pop” versions is from “Mrs. Swing” – Mildred Bailey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRCH0dxJBIs

I think hearing both ladies in juxtaposition - each being true to her
natural idiom - shows the amazing elasticity of Weil’s music.

Can anyone suggest other compare / contrast examples?