Subject: Re: DON CARLO Recordings
From: william kasimer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 8 Aug 2017 09:38:17 -0400

On Mon, 7 Aug 2017 17:19:47 -0700, Donald Levine <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>My favorite recordings of Don Carlo remain the 4 Act Cetra with Caniglia,
>Stignani, Picchi, Silveri, Neri and Rossi-Lemeni under Previtali and the 5
>Act Decca Solti set with Tebaldi, Bumbry, Bergonzi, Merrill & Ghiaurov.

If only you were correct about the cast, I might agree with you.  But it's not Merrill as Posa
- it's Fischer-Dieskau, whom I consider a huge liability.  I'm also not a big fan of Milnes and
Raimondi, which is a problem for my appreciation the Giulini recording.

I haven't found a favorite Don Carlo(s) recording yet - they almost all have their good
points, but they're all flawed in some way.  I usually end up mixing and matching from
various recordings, mostly live broadcasts, particularly the 1977 Abbado from La Scala with
Freni and Carreras (before he blew out his voice), issued by Myto, which is a very complete
five act version, and is, alas, OOP and ridiculously priced on the used market.

I dislike pretty much every recording of the French version, not because of the language,
but because of weak casts.

Another recording that doesn't get much love is the one on Naxos, conducted by Hold-
Garrido.  Most of the singing is good, if not particularly memorable compared to more
famous exponents of the roles, with one outstanding exception - Peter Mattei's Posa is,
without question, the finest on record.

Bill