Subject: Stellar STARS NIGHT OUT starts off our Glimmerglass weekend (8-10-17)
From: Alan Savada <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 11 Aug 2017 10:13:06 -0400

This year, we decided to take it easy our first night in Cooperstown and skip the opera (instead there is a Saturday matinee) and have a leisurely dinner followed by the Stars Night Out Cabaret, which is a 60 minute or so cabaret held after the opera featuring many of the season's soloists in opera or non-opera selections. It started at about 10pm with Kevin Miller at the keys doing a great job for all. First up was Frederick Ballentine (Sportin'Life in Porgy&Bess) who sang an amazing aria that I sadly missed the name of ("Amor...pida"?) from an opera he called the Spanish Elisir d'Amore. Talise Trevigne(Bess) gave us a blissful "I Want Magic" from Streetcar, followed by Jarett Ott(Curly in Oklahoma) went the musical theater route with Camelot's "If Ever I Would Leave You," that would have shamed any previous Lancelots! Vanessa Becerra (Laurey in Oklahoma; whom we had the pleasure of sponsoring last summer) was perfect with "Ice Cream" from She Loves Me. I only wish she had dedicated it to the memory of Barbara Cook. William Burden (Scalia in Scalia/Ginsburg & Andrew in Oklahoma) was in stellar voice with Gene Scheer's "American Anthem."  Judith Skinner(Maria in Porgy&Bess, Aunt Eller in Oklahoma) moved to spirituals with "Sometimes I Feel Like a Motherless Child," while John Holiday wowed (at the piano as well) with "Fly Me to the Moon" and "I Need Thee Every Hour." A duet of the moving "Lily's Eyes" from The Secret Garden, brought back Messrs. Ballentine & Ott and the concert ended with the always hysterical (but even moreso here with local interpretations) of "The Alto's Lament" by Allegra DeVita.

It was indeed the perfect beginning to what should be a perfect weekend!

Today: Robin Hood & Oklahoma

Tomorrow:The Siege of Calais & Xerxes

Sunday: Porgy & Bess & Scalia/Ginsburg

ALAN SAVADA of Washington, DC