Subject: Re: Tebaldi's (in)famous 1963 'Adriana'
From: walter guitian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 10 Aug 2017 18:24:01 +0000

Bob, and you never thought that not  liking something or someone and trying   to convey to others that it is bad are different things ? Because in the archives of "opera-l archives" for more than two decades ago that you are trying to convey to all posters of opera-l archives that Tebaldi was an off pitch singer each time someone share a publication of Tebaldi , as recently happens with Adriana, and being this false, because there are audio documents, her '61 Decca recording and the '55 arias and "live" tapes too.On the other hand you used the number of performances of Olivero and Tebaldi in Adriana (Olivero 115 times), Tebaldi (around 55 times) to try to suggest that that marks a trend, then I asked if Callas had sung Gioconda only 13 times, Sonnambula 22 times, puritani 16 times and other 32 roles of her repertoire less than 10 times, that marks that she did not own any of these roles for that, and you said nothing.It seems that the number of performances only counts for Tebaldi too ?Also every time praises something, a recording or a role Tebaldi did  you praises  Scotto or Olivero or Caballé and say they are far superior.Don't you  think you are too evident ?Even more wearing the diamond necklace of Maria Callas elderly fan ?
  I know that at the Metropolitan (at least at the time we are talking , the '60s, I don't know now)  the way the theater worked was several titles in the same week, and many one month for example, so a star of the Met who has a contract for many performances per year, is often singing two or three operas in the same week, so he/she cannot sing always in premiere.
But in theaters like La Scala, or Colon Buenos Aires or other important theaters, the titles are given by month or between two months, so things are completely differentFor example in the 1963/64 season was given "Macbeth", premiere february 14, 1964 . Birgit Nilssonfebruary 17, 20, 23 : Birgit Nilssonapril 17, 20 : Leyla Gencer
Now I got to the 1969/70 season and it was "Lucrezia Borgia" , premiere february 24, 1970 : Montserrat Caballemarch 2, 5, 8, 10 : Montserrat Caballemarch 12: Leyla Gencer

Walter