Subject: Re: Tebaldi's (in)famous 1963 'Adriana'
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 10 Aug 2017 09:48:36 -0400

Walter

The Forza to which you refer was a second cast.
Leonie was in the premiere cast a month earlier.
In the following season Tucci sang the Butterfly
premiere and Tebaldi sang a later performance
on 2 Jan 1961. Renata Tebaldi was no stranger to
second casts, but no one at the Met was. Not even
Maria Callas!

And, for the record, "great" and "famous" mean different
things. Tebaldi's greatness vis a vis Olivero is a matter of
opinion, which I will not engage, but fame is a much more
objective qualification, and anyone who knows and
respects operatic history knows that Magda Olivero is,
by general consensus, the most famous, even if not the
greatest, Adriana in the opera's history.

Bob

On Thu, 10 Aug 2017 12:29:31 +0000, walter guitian <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>Shengold your file clipping failed, Tebaldi had to sing in the premiere in that Simon
Boccanegra but she twisted an ankle in Italy and she had to cancell and Mary Curtis Verna ,
as always , was her stand-in. Tebaldi flew to New York some days later and arrived for the
march 4, 1960 La Forza del destino  when Warren died
>Bye Shengold

Guitian <[log in to unmask]>
> Enviado: Jueves, 10 de agosto, 2017 1:17:56
> Asunto: Tebaldi's (in)famous 1963 'Adriana'
>
>From:    walter guitian
>
>(Tebaldi had sung Adriana Lecouvreur at La Scala in the 1952/53 season and of course as
the prima donna, you imagine Tebaldi singing one of her roles as second cast ?)