Subject: Kaufmann's Otello
From: Isaac Alan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 8 Aug 2017 08:57:12 +0000

Dear friends I have no desire to rattle Kaufmann fans, but this is my honest opinion.

Great singing alone will get many an opera singer through a great many individual roles, and the applause will be generally favourable to tumultuous. There are a number of operatic roles, of which Grimes is one, Rigoletto is another, and Otello is a prime example, where mere singing talent will not suffice.

McCracken was not the world greatest tenor by a long stretch, but by the powers he was a great Otello, he managed to wring every drop out of the character, and invariably did great justice to Shakespeare Boito and Verdi.

Vickers was not the ideal Otello vocally either, but again he brought the Moor to life and gave the audiences an emotional roller coaster ride to the end. Kaufmann is not an actor, he has poor powers of depiction at the best of times, but in a vehicle such as Otello, he is lost completely in my opinion. Oh he can sing it well enough in that odd three parted voice of his, but he could never capture the complexities of the Character, and depict them with honesty if his life depended upon it.

Regards,

Isaac Alan