Subject: Re: Eugene Onegin
From: Sally Newland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 8 Aug 2017 11:29:59 -0700

I so don't agree!  A good opera for me is one with a compelling story with
skillfully composed music to transmit the story.  It is not necessary, for
me to enjoy an opera, for the music to be on a level critically assessed as
"above" the mundane.  If it is beautifully orchestrated and written for
singers to sing, I probably am going to like it.  I do understand on some
level your post and even the remarks about "Melody in F" being your basic
assessment of its qualtiy--still love Onegin and I still think it is (more
than) a good opera!