Subject: Don Carlo recordings
From: Neil Punchard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 8 Aug 2017 13:44:23 -0400

I'd like to offer my two penn'orth to this debate and mention a live recording from Vienna in
1970 of the 4 Act version: Corelli, Janowitz, Waechter, Verrett, Ghiaurov and Talvela with
Horst Stein in the pit. In remarkably good stereo sound for its age, it crackles with electricity.
The weak link for me is Waechter who is too much bark and bluster, but the rest of the cast is
oustanding with Verrett giving an incendiary performance as Eboli.