Subject: Re: [Norton AntiSpam]Re: Kaufmann's Otello
From: Kiwi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 8 Aug 2017 13:21:47 -0400

I can sort of get the teenager in rebellion from daddy and running to a big,
strong substitute dad, especially one of heroic proportions.  And daddy is
so distraught by his daughter's actions that (if memory serves) he offs
himself rather than live with the shame of what his daughter has done.
Apparently, Dessie's family is made up of highly theatrical and emotional
people.

According to Shakespeare, it was Dessie who managed to engagement, not
Otello, and Dessie who insisted on going with her husband to Cyprus.  So
she's strong willed and opinionated and manages to get pretty much
everything she wants--until she gets to Cyprus and turns into a brainless
child who doesn't have a clue how to deal with men, especially her husband.
That passivity of Desdemona is what I find off-putting in the opera (and the
play as well) but I guess that has to be chalked up to one of the dreaded
'that's just the way men thought about women then.'   Perhaps somewhere
along the way Dessie's romantic delusions have convinced her that her fate
is to be murdered by her husband and so goes along with it.

The other thing I don't get, never have gotten and probably never will get
is why Otello just doesn't march up to Cassio and, if he truly believes he
has been wronged by the younger man, challenge him to a duel.  Or, since he
is head of the government, have him arrested.  Or send him away.  That he
has someone else carry out the murder of Cassio (which, of course, is
botched) rather than doing it himself is surprising to me.

And, yes, I know you have to suspend disbelief and all that, but geez, can't
operas be written with overarching logical integrity?  (Pace, Shakespeare.)