Subject: Barbara Cook - the most beautiful soprano voice
From: James Camner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 8 Aug 2017 09:59:16 -0700

I was saddened to read that the incomparable Barbara Cook died today. It
was once said that Battistini's prime was from his birth to his death and
that could have also been said of Barbara Cook.

We heard her late in her career, many times, in Princeton, in New York, on
Broadway, in cabaret and she was always superb. Even in her eighties, Cook
had the fresh tone and voice of a 20-year-old. A master singer and
interpreter, Cook was so consistent that I doubt she ever had a bad

I'm 66 now and have heard so many lovely soprano voices including: Leontyne
Price, Barbara Bonney, Lucia Popp, Reri Grist, Mechtild Gessendorf,
Kathleen Battle, Dawn Upshaw, Renata Tebaldi, Benita Valente, Kiri Te
Kanawa in opera and Rebecca Luker, Laura Benanti, Kelli O'Hara, and they
were all wonderful, but Cook had an inner radiance and lush tone that made
her singing special.

Beyond the hype, Barbara Cook firmly has her place in history creating the
female leads in The Music Man and Candide. It was truly one of the great

She will be missed! RIP.

James Camner

Modify your settings: