Subject: Re: DON CARLO Recordings
From: tom ponti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 8 Aug 2017 16:03:21 +0000

I remember that when the London- Solti and Angel- Giulini recordings were compared, one critic said that if you had the London men combined with the Angel women, you would have the near ideal cast. I very much enjoyed the Von K Salzburg performance, on DVD, with: Furlanetto, Carreas, Cappuccilli, Balsta. The soprano D'Inito was good but not great, sort of a lesser Freni  sound. Speaking of Cappuccilli, after the discussion of Domingo's Macbeth yesterday, I listened and watched the great La Scala performance with Piero and Verrett. What a performance, by both! After her first act aria, Verrett gets one of the greatest ovations I ever heard any singer get. It was well deserved! I doubt there was ever a greater Lady Macbeth. Piero is one of my all time favorite baritones.