Subject: Re: speaking of Erich Leinsdorf
From: Sheila Pinsker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 7 Aug 2017 14:04:12 -0400

In his later years he was frequent guest conductor with Washington’s
National Symphony.  An orchestra member with whom we were
friendly was fairly critical of most guests. His comment about
Leinsdorf was, “He knows how to rehearse.”
Some brief history; he had been one of Toscanini’s young
assistants at Salzburg b/4 coming to the Met. When Bodanzky
died suddenly at the beginning of a season, he wasn’t even buried
when Johnson was inundated with applications for his position.
Johnson simply elevated Leinsdorf who was still fairly young.
His career was interrupted by being drafted and serving in the
Army. After the war he became an orchestra conductor
starting, I think, with the Rochester Philharmonic where made
a number of recordings on a budget label.
Bob P