Subject: The audience sighs as one
From: Matt Carver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 7 Aug 2017 10:26:53 -0400

In my many years of opera, concert, and recital-going, I've heard the audience sigh together on two occasions.

One was the opening of the current MET AIDA in the late 1980's.  Leona Mitchell finished "Ritorna Vincitor!" and the audience sighed together at the fullness of her velvety sound.

Also, at a Kathleen Battle recital at the Kennedy Center in DC (also in the late 80's), the audience sighed after many songs. Her bell-like tone floated through the auditorium.

Anyone else experience this sort of full-audience reaction?

Modify your settings: